KS3 - PE
In Year 7 students receive 2 hours of core PE each week.
Students may be experiencing some activities for the first time, depending on which primary school they have attended. The following six activity areas are introduced and students begin to develop basic skills and game play (where appropriate):
In Year 8 students receive 2 hours of core PE each week.
Students should now be mastering the basic skills for most activities. They will then progress onto the more advanced skills, thereby improving their involvement and success in games situations. Some activities are repeated from Year 7 with two new activity areas being introduced:
- Outdoor Education (mixture of problem solving and orienteering)
- Striking and Fielding (Rounders, Cricket or Softball)
In Year 9 students receive 2 hours of core PE each week.
Students are beginning to master more advanced skills and are able to take part in games at a higher level with increasing success. They are now introduced to the Physical Education opportunities that are available to them beyond Key Stage 3, such as GCSE PE or BTEC Sport. Students will take part in the following sports in this year:
- Invasion Games (from sports such as Football, Netball, Hockey, Rugby etc.)
- Striking and Fielding (Rounders, Cricket, Softball)
- Academic PE - Mixture of practical and theory lessons (a taster of the Year 10/11 GCSE/BTEC PE courses)