Admissions Process: 2019 - 2020
On this page you will find guidance of how to apply for places in Year 7 and how to approach a potential change of school.
If the information below does not answer your questions please contact us on Admissions@soham-college.org.uk and we will do our best to assist you. Enquires during school holidays will be answered when school reopens.
Applying for a place in Year 7 for a September 2020 start:
All applications for school places are made through Cambridgeshire County Council and must submitted by 31 October 2019.
In the event of us being over-subscribed, applications are allocated according to our over-subscription criteria:
- Children in care, also known as Looked After Children (LAC), and children who were looked after but ceased to be so by reason of adoption, resident order or special guardianship order;
- Children living in the area served by the following primary schools with a sibling already at the College at the time of admission:
Burwell Village College (Primary); Fordham CofE(C) Primary School; Isleham CofE(C) Primary School;
Kennett CP School; St Andrew’s CofE(VC) Primary School, Soham; The Shade Primary School, Soham; and
The Weatheralls CP School, Soham.
3. Other children living in the area served by the primary schools listed in point 2;
4. The attendance of a sibling at the time of admission;
5. Children not living in the area served by, but who are attending, the primary schools listed in point 2
6. Children not living in the area served by the primary schools listed in point 2, but who live nearest the College as measured by a straight line.
The distance, for admissions purposes, is measured using the straight line distance from the reference point of the home, as defined by the Ordnance Survey (OS), to the main student entrance of the College. In cases of equal merit, priority will go to children living nearest the school according to the shortest straight line distance. These distances are produced by the LA Admissions team for the school.
For families who live outside the area covered by the Cambridgeshire mapping system, distances are determined using a combination of local maps and on-line resources.
Children who have a statement of special educational needs that names the school will be admitted. N.B. Those children with a statement of special education needs that does not name the school will be referred to Student Assessment to determine an appropriate place.
More information and an application form can be found here:
In-year applications (moving secondary schools)
These applications also cover starts in Year Groups other than Year 7.
To enquire about a possible school move please contact us on email@example.com and we will do our best to advise you. Enquires during school holidays will be answered when school reopens.