The college provides a range of healthy and reasonably priced food options available for all students to buy from the canteen at break or lunchtime. Many students prefer to bring a packed lunch with them. We think it is important that these lunches should be healthy. The following guidance is taken from the School Food Trust.
Packed lunches should include:
- one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetables every day.
- meat, fish or other source of non-dairy protein (e.g. lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, hummus, peanut butter and falafel) every day.
- a starchy food such as any type of bread, pasta, rice, couscous, noodles, potatoes or other type of cereals every day.
- dairy food such as milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais or custard every day.
- water, still or sparkling, fruit juice, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, yoghurt or milk drinks and smoothies.
Packed lunches should not include:
- high-fat snacks such as crisps. Instead, include nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruit, savoury crackers or breadsticks.
- confectionery such as chocolate bars, chocolate-coated biscuits and sweets. Cakes or biscuits are fine as part of a balanced meal.
- Meat products such as sausage rolls and individual pies are very high in fat and salt, and should be included only occasionally.